Under the general direction of the classroom Teacher and supervision of the Center Supervisor/County Manager, the Teacher Assistant participates in regular planning, set-up, presentation, evaluation and documentation of child and family educational programming in accordance with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families: Head Start Performance Standards and Other Regulations, any State and local regulation and CAFI Head Start Policies and Procedures. The Teacher Assistant works under general direction of the classroom Teacher. This position is located at the Head Start centers.
- Plans, implements, and models a healthy and safe curriculum that builds good health habits, increases knowledge and understanding of safety practices for adults and children.
- Assists in providing a safe and healthy environment by implementing routines, rules, and procedures that prevent and reduce injury.
- Maintains the safety of the environment and children using vision, auditory and smell input, and verbal and mobility related responses.
- Assists in planning and implementing a developmentally appropriate curriculum that meets children’s individual physical and intellectual needs.
- Conducts observational, developmental, and behavioral screenings.
- Provides an appropriate environment, activities, and materials for three- and four-year-old children that enriches cognitive, language/motor development, experimentation, creative expression, and problem solving.
- Participates as requested in staffing to establish and monitor plans that address children’s individual physical and intellectual needs.
- Rides on a school bus as the Monitor.
- Works as a member of the classroom team and with volunteers to provide consistent, positive age-appropriate guidance that enhances children’s self-esteem and inner control.
- Participates in home visits, Parent-Teacher Conferences, and staffing (as requested) with school systems and other agencies representing the educational interest of children.
- Supports, implements, and complies with all program policies and procedures.
- Maintains classroom, storage areas and workspaces in an orderly fashion.
- Performs regular sanitation/cleaning of the classroom that may require the use of a broom, carpet sweeper, mop, vacuum, and the use of cleaning products.
- Understands that the confidentiality of all children and families is maintained and handles confidential and sensitive information regarding children, families, and staff in a professional manner exercising appropriate discretion in sharing the information.
- Observes, compares, and monitors data and children’s behavior to determine compliance with other prescribed standards and refers children with suspected problems to the Teacher.
- Models appropriate mealtime behavior that supports family style meal service.
- In collaboration with the Parents, Teacher and Family Social Workers provides a comprehensive family service and early childhood education program that is appropriate and responsive to the needs and goals of the children and family.
- Child Development Associate or Associate degree in Childhood Education
- Experience working with pre-school age children.
- Valid Driver’s License
- 2 years of experience working with children in a Pre-school environment.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to pass a criminal history background check and submit to an initial physical drug screening and annual Tuberculin test.
- Ability to communicate in English (both verbally and in writing).
- Must be physically able to interact with preschool age children.
- Must have strong verbal organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Must demonstrate a working and theoretical knowledge of child development, classroom and behavioral management.
- Must be knowledgeable of child abuse and neglect indicators and report suspected child abuse according to state regulation.
- Must maintain a current CPR and First Aid certificate (training will be provided by CAFI).
- This job operates in a clean, organized, and professional classroom environment.
- The Teacher Assistant operates under the general direction of the classroom Teacher and supervision of the Center Manager and will be evaluated annually by the Center Manager in conjunction with the classroom Teacher.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; kneel or sit on the floor; lift approximately 40 pounds; ride on a bus; and move quickly from multiple positions and levels.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position, and days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m., unless otherwise approved by the Executive Director.
May require local travel and out of area travel for training / job requirement purposes.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
CAFI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CAFI complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
CAFI expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of CAFI’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.