GENERAL SUMMARY OF WHAT THE POSITION DOES:
This position works as an integral member of a team to assist in activities in the areas of the classroom, kitchen and bus services on an as needed basis. The position contains elements of the job descriptions of positions titled teacher assistant, classroom aide, bus aide, custodial aide and kitchen aide as well as requires the incumbent to perform some light cleaning duties. This classification typically works with developing children and/or children with special needs. The position may be assigned to various classrooms/centers/bus routes as deemed necessary for program operations. This position may receive content area technical support and training from the Center Director, Teacher, Bus Driver, Cook and /or Program Managers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION—ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists classroom staff in all classroom activities, field trips and outdoor activities included in lesson plans.
- Assists in developing materials and providing activities related to the cultural background of the children and families served.
- Helps supervise at mealtime, eating with children to encourage good nutrition and social skills.
- Helps keep the classroom and its contents clean and orderly.
- Assists the teacher in any aspect of the program as the need arises (e.g., at Family Nights, copying newsletters, cutting out classroom materials, making phone calls, etc.).
- Serves as temporary substitute in the periodic absence of the assistant teacher, teacher, custodian, cook, and cook assistant.)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- May by required to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Some exposure to communicable diseases.
- Noise level in work environment may be moderate to loud.
- Work is typically performed in a classroom, kitchen or bus setting and some office work may be required.
- Some evenings and weekend work may occasionally be required to events such as home visits, parent-teacher conferences, Parent Committee meetings, community, and social events.